DreamWatcher: Level 3 (Drowned Gallery / Lost Shrine)
- Level must introduce and teach various new elements and ingredients to the player (Nightmare Monkeys, Web Doors, Candles, Black Holes and Timed Switches).
- Level must adhere to limited line of site (absolute maximum of 60 meters).
- Metroidvania style level allowing for a sense of discovery and multiple paths.
- Designed for a full-scale production in the Unity Engine in collaboration with 20+ students remotely (due to Covid-19).
- Capstone project completed in 14 weeks (prototyping, beta and alpha milestones), resulting in 2+ hours of content.
- Map designed to allow for interesting interactions regardless of direction.
- Secrets and paths that gradually open up to the player as they obtain new powers.
- Worked closely with Level Artist, CATHERINE MALTAIS, to ensure strong guidance for the player in the level.
- Successfully pitched game, part of one of two teams voted in among six potential projects.
- Additional roles on this project included: narrative design and world-building.
What I've Learned
- Familiarity with Unity, tight coordination and communication with level artist, coherence with a greater vision, methods of creatively breaking lines of sight, the importance of reading documentation thoroughly, precise prototyping, making the most of play testing to make improvements and locate bugs.
Click here to view Steam Page
Layout & Critical Path: This layout displays the structure and paths of DreamWatcher's third level. The critical path would have the player following the yellow arrow towards level 6. They would then need to return from the end of the yellow arrow towards the beginning with an option to follow the purple arrow towards the second level. Lastly, the player will need to return for a quest item following the green arrow.
Difficulty curve: Due to the open nature of DreamWatcher's world, this level must be visited a minimum of three times with three separate goals. Each goal requires a particular path through the level which ultimately presents varied challenges.